Monday, April 1, 2013

Birthday

My birthday was last month. Another year has come and gone. I turned 39 so next year is the big 4-0! 40 is the new 30 right? Why is it that college kids look like they should be elementary school? I used to be the youngest kid on campus, (my job) but I am certainly not the youngest anymore.

I can remember when I was a child, and I couldn't wait to be an adult. When I was 12, 14, 16, etc. it seemed so long away. Each year seemed to drag by as I longed for the time when I was on my own. Recently, I dreamt that I was attending a lecture by Albert Einstein. During the lecture, he told the audience that humans act without caution and thought during their youth and during their old age. In the middle of life, we are too aware of our responsibilities. And maybe this dream happened  because I keep thinking that being an adult is so overrated.

College years were good. I was poor, and  I couldn't wait to get a real job so I could have some money and not struggle.

Now that I am in the workforce, time just moves too fast. And don't get me started on the kids who were born yesterday who are now 16 or 23. How is that possible? And why does it seem like I am working just to afford my mini empire. I make money, but I don't have time to enjoy the money I make. Always going, going, going.

Could I quit my job, sale everything, and wander this world? Probably not. I'm too practical for that. Each  year, it sounds nicer and nicer.

Another 25 years of working. Get. Out. Of. Here!

Calgon take me away!

No comments: