Thursday, May 31, 2012

Let Your Nail Stick Out

Written for Volume XI, Issue II of the PCC Scroll .

The Japanese have a proverb, “Deru kugi wa utareru.” It is translated as, “The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.” Unfortunately, many of us have been hammered down to the point that we are not accomplishing our purpose and are stagnant. The theme of this issue of the PCC Scroll is “Awakening: Purpose Fulfilled.” Part of our awakening is to shake off our stupor and inactivity, especially when it is driven by fear.

We are bound by the fear that our abilities and skills are not substantial enough to undertake anything worthwhile. But, the truth is that God has given you everything you need to accomplish your purpose in Him. Before the world was made, He knew you. He gave you all that you need to complete your call.

We are fearful that what we have to offer is not important. But, when it comes to the Kingdom of God, all of our purposes are significant and needed! We are a body with many parts, and each of those parts is needed for the body to be successful and function correctly.

We are fearful about what other people will think about us, and we let that hold us back. We are scared of their criticism. We are scared about what they are going to think and say.

And, people will criticize you. People will talk about you. So, we become too scared to let our nails stick out. It becomes more comfortable and more safe to be at the same level as the other nails.

I don’t know about you, but I would rather be the nail that sticks out than the nail that has been beaten down to match society to the point that I blend in with everyone else. My Bible tells me that I am fearfully and wonderfully made. I was created with a unique skill set and personality to fulfill my purpose and ministry. I lose this when I try to conform not only to the world but also to man-made laws that focus less about my heart and more about an external performance.

When it comes down to it, I am not concerned with people’s outward show, appearance, or performance. I can’t see what is on their heart, and I have been fooled too many times by someone’s outward show, appearance, or performance. As 1 Samuel 16:7 tells us, “But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.”

We are all uniquely, fearfully, wonderfully, and divinely made. We were not created to blend in and accept the status quo. We were created to stand out and be light and salt. I invite you to let your nail stick out as you use your gifts and talents to fulfill your purpose.

No comments: