Monday, September 5, 2011

Week 36

Life is an awesome journey. I am currently 37, and for the first time, I am beginning to see how “great” my life is. This is not saying I have everything I want, but I do have everything I need. There are still things I desire in my heart, but I have to believe that God will deliver them in due time, if that is in fact His will for my life. Meanwhile, better to accept and cultivate and be thankful for the opportunities given to me.

I don’t feel like I have traveled that much. There are around 240 countries, and I have to date been to 16 of them. It seems like a failing grade to me, and I feel like I am behind in traveling. It is then that I have to ask myself who dictates how many countries I should visit, and who am I in competition with. I really wish my family could have afforded to send me to Europe or somewhere when I graduated high school or college, but that was not the case. So, the traveling I have done has been as me older and my own resources. I realize that one, as an older traveler, I see more than the inside of a bar and two the fact that I paid for it with my old blood, sweat, and tears brings it more value to me.

I don’t always feel like I earn enough money. My salary is decent, but in my mind I want to earn more. I am not sure if this is an ego thing in wanting to earn more. In truth, I earn enough to do what I want to do. As a single person with no kids, I earn more than enough. Truthfully, I can do a better job at planning for my future.

What I realized this week is for the nth time is that not all that glitters is gold. It is easy to get caught up in the glamour peoples’ lives look from the outside. But once you get inside, you realize its gold plated. I think this happens because God wants us to realize and prefer our own lives. Things many not be perfect, but things are perfect for us.

When I realized how “great” I had it, I also realized easy it is to get puffed up and prideful about what I have managed to accomplish thus far, which is ironic because it’s not like I have found a cure for cancer or something great like that that had an impact on humanity. Yet, it is easy to think what I have and what I have done is the result of my hard work or my superior intelligence or my somehow deserving all this. The truth is I get lazy and don’t always work hard. The truth is there are many people more intelligent that I. The truth is how does one measure what they deserve or don’t deserve. In fact, I probably don’t deserve it, but that’s when I have to thank God for His grace and mercy!

So, I decided to focus on scriptures about being humble. I know all my blessings come up above. I just need to remind myself of this.

“Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and he shall lift you up.” James 4:10

“If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.” 2 Chronicles 7:14

“Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time.” 1 Peter 5:6

No comments: