Thursday, March 3, 2011

What's It All About, LTB?

A large part of my current “crisis” is that I am having a, “What’s it all about,” internal dialogue, which isn’t a bad thing. Thoughts about purpose and legacy are coursing through my mind. What is my purpose? What legacy will I leave behind? How will I be remembered?

For my purpose, I believe I have been called to write words, which I do. I have bemoaned the fact that I am not a published author for some time. This is mainly due to my own laziness. Do I have a novel inside of me? Yes. I’m I supposed to right novel? I don’t know. The novel doesn’t exactly “glorify” God. It glorifies words I like. I realized that I do write. I “publish” a blog and my words have been published for ten years in a quarterly church newsletter. It doesn’t look the way I thought it would, and I think that sometimes gets in the way. Like, I am looking for a 6’1”, chocolate man, when God could be sending me someone 5’9” and the color of chalk. I’m just saying!

As for legacy, it’s time to begin to really look outside of myself. I write a lot of checks but my time and sweat needs to be used better. I plan to study the following scriptures and help them lead me. The first pass is the NIV and the second pass the KJV.

James 1:27 Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.

Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, [and] to keep himself unspotted from the world.


Deuteronomy 14:29 so that the Levites (who have no allotment or inheritance of their own) and the aliens, the fatherless and the widows who live in your towns may come and eat and be satisfied, and so that the LORD your God may bless you in all the work of your hands.

And the Levite, (because he hath no part nor inheritance with thee,) and the stranger, and the fatherless, and the widow, which [are] within thy gates, shall come, and shall eat and be satisfied; that the LORD thy God may bless thee in all the work of thine hand which thou doest.


Psalm 82:3 Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed.

Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.


Proverbs 31:9 Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

Open thy mouth, judge righteously, and plead the cause of the poor and needy.


Jeremiah 22:3 This is what the LORD says: Do what is just and right. Rescue from the hand of his oppressor the one who has been robbed. Do no wrong or violence to the alien, the fatherless or the widow, and do not shed innocent blood in this place.

Thus saith the LORD; Execute ye judgment and righteousness, and deliver the spoiled out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no violence to the stranger, the fatherless, nor the widow, neither shed innocent blood in this place.


Isaiah 1:17 learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.

Learn to do well; seek judgment, relieve the oppressed, judge the fatherless, plead for the widow.

No comments: