Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Week 10

Last week was crazy and hectic. If last week had happened a year ago or six months ago, I probably would have had a meltdown. Thank God for growth! I believe that this process is helping. I expect to be in a better place in three months, six months, and ten months. I like that this is making me disciplined. It’s also putting God’s Word in my heart. I like reading about the things God has in store for me, and the things He wants for me. He wants me to have peace, joy, love, etc. I know that I don’t want this time to be spent in vain. There’s no point in taking the time for prayer and devotion if I am not going to apply it.

For my devotional on Monday, I read James 1:22-27. I need to be a better doer of the Word. In order to be a doer, I need to know what the Word says. There are times when I study the Word a lot, and then there are times, when I only open my Bible on Sunday. I need to find a happy medium to where I am more consistent, instead of feast or famine.

James 1:22-27 (King James Version)
22But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves. 23For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: 24For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. 25But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. 26If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. 27Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

I am trying to take the spotlight off of other people and put the spotlight on me. I will confess that sometimes when I hear a sermon, I immediately think of a person I think the statement pertains to. Now, I listen and wait for the words that talk to me where I am at.

As I was praying, part of my prayer was for me to recognize growth in other people. It’s very easy for me to remember past offenses or past sins and judge the person from that angle. However, people grow, and I have to at least give people room to change.

No comments: