Tuesday, August 31, 2010

GPS System

As usual, my mind is working overtime.

My thought for today is along the lines that God is like a GPS system.

The one thing that always intrigued me about the GPS System is how it automatically adjusted directions based on where the car was going. I noticed that a GPS would say turn right in 50 meters. If for some reason, the right turn was missed (i.e. the driver wasn’t paying attention, was in the wrong lane, or got distracted) it would automatically adjust the directions from where the car was heading.

There is no loud voice that says you idiot you missed your turn. The system just calmly tells you the next set of instructions based on where you are at. The destination is the same, but the route taken has changed.

Let’s face it. During this walk we all make mistakes, take wrong turns, and flatly make other stops along the way, but God still patiently leads us to our destiny.

Speaking of destiny, I have some idea of where I am going. I just have no idea of how God plans to lead me from where I am to where I am going.

It’s a constant juggle of my desires and passions and learning to ask if they are God’s will in my life. I would like to say that because of the intensity of some of my desires they are what God would have for me, but I have to admit that some of the things I want are not good for me. They are, as my pastor would say, slippery slopes.

No comments: