Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Harlems Song Revisited

My imagination has always been extremely overactive. I have a rich inner life. This imagination is very useful as I plot out my book. If I had one complaint, it would be that early in the morning, the book becomes part of my dreams and I feel like I am actually experiencing what the lead character is experiencing.

In some ways, I want to hold the plot close to me like a secret recipe or security code. In other ways, I want to shout the plot off the roof tops. I suppose if I did jot it down, it would make it more real and tangible to me.

Basically, the lead character is a woman named Harlem. I picked the name because she is going through a rebirth or renaissance if you will. She’s at a crossroads in her life. It’s a name I have always used.

The male lead has always been a character named Damian. As I was writing about them, another male character entered quite on his own. I wanted to name him Gregory, which is actually the name of a person I know. But then, the name Gabriel kept slipping out.

Well, to back up, I did not want to write about a relationship. The theme is played. I wasn’t quite sure if I even wanted to write a fiction novel. However, I am learning it’s not always what I want. In fact, the book just began pouring out of me two weeks ago.

I was musing with God on my plans vs. His plans, when it me. Damian as an agent of Satan, and Gabriel as an agent of God. So in these men you see the struggle Harlem actually has with her relationship with God. It’s quite evidence in the way the two men treat Harlem. One, with unconditional love and acceptance. The other with borderline abuse. And of course, Damian is the one Harlem is most drawn to despite the fact that he has her on a very unhealthy, emotional rollercoaster! Stay tuned!

I think it will actually be a short story. Like I said in the previous post, I want to publish an anthology of short stories from members of my church.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

can't wait for this!