Saturday, March 6, 2010

Lenten Check In

On March 4, I realized that it was a month to Easter, or Resurrection Sunday. On Wednesday, it will be three weeks since Ash Wednesday. It’s almost the halfway point. As mentioned previously, I have turned the TV off for Lent. No TV and no movies.

My first test was a movie called Valentine’s Day came out that I wanted to see. There was a voice that was like its okay to go a movie theatre to watch a movie. Just not at home. With that sort of thinking, I would be going to the movies once a week!

I visited a friend and her kids were watching TV. I had to make myself focus on something else. I felt Sponge Bob Square Pants sucking me in! I realized I can be in the same room as a TV and not watch it.

My biggest test has been the Office. On March 4, a double-episode, Pam and Jim had their baby! The good news is that I can watch it online after Easter! I will not turn my TV on until Monday, April 5. I may have to wean myself back into it. Maybe just allow myself one to two hours a day? Not sure on that.

What happens is that I come and turn the TV on. I like watching syndicated sitcoms because I like to laugh. The sad thing is that there are certain shows I have seen every episode of many times. Like Seinfeld. I know the lines. Not a good accomplishment. I also have Netflix so I get movies coming in.

What I have been doing is blogging more. I think this will be the fourth post this month. I try to do one post a week so I will overachieve. I’ve also been reading books. I forgot how much I enjoy reading!

Starting this week, I will begin working on the April/Spring issue of my church’s newsletter. I also need to do some studying. I’ve been having a lot of leisure time.

1 comment:

Liza said...

Before I forget, Happy Birthday! Any grey hair yet? I've stopped pulling mine out! Don't want to start getting bald spots! Ha!

Hope you have a good one...not watching t.v. If you want a special dinner out, especially if you can convince a friend or two to come with you, try the Melting Pot. It's practically across the street from the Space Needle. Pricey, but soooo yummy and fun! Just give yourself a couple of hours, especially if you do the Big Night Out on their menu!