Friday, October 30, 2009

Ready for Love?

Relationships are very hard. I realize this. In some way, part of me shies from the concept of the intimate relationship of marriage, which is why I am still single. Eternally single.

I look around, and I see many divorces and separations and that pessimistic voice says why bother…(My pastor suggested that I look at the positive examples. LOL.)

Then, there is the voice that wants to be free to travel and not have to worry about anyone other than me. This voice is okay with the idea of a marriage companion to travel with but no kids. On a side note, now that I am 35, I think I won’t have kids anyway. So it’s a mute point.

Then there is the part that sings that song by India Arie that says, “I am ready for love, why are you hiding from me…” with such earnest and conviction that the other two voices are silenced.

1 comment:

Liza said...

Reading your recent posts, it has brought to mind some of the great things that come with marriage. I am a firm believer that God intended all of us to be married in order to reach a higher plain of existence. We can grow and become great people single, but there is something that we can only achieve through marriage. There is no other relationship that is closer and more personal than the marriage relationship. It also tests us in ways that we can easily avoid through staying single. I've had to learn so much more about not only sacrifice and selflessness, but also to keep taking good care of myself and to not let my needs suffer in order to serve others. A spouse is also hand picked (by you of course!) to push your buttons. This is a good thing! It's far too easy to glamorize or down-play your faults when single. A spouse will bring you back to earth and help you see yourself more realistically. A spouse also brings strengths to the relationship that you don't have and can help you aspire to something better than what you are single. And I am the first to support marriage counseling when needed! It can be a great blessing to talk to someone qualified to help a couple through the rough times....and they come to everyone!