Friday, October 30, 2009

Man in the Mirror?

About a month ago, a scandal broke out concerning a personal situation that occurred in the life of one of the elected officials who has oversight over the organization I work for.

I was shocked about the allegations, certainly. At some point during the day, I realized that people were actually “happy” about it. It was so weird. It’s like there was a gleam in people’s eyes as they said, “Have you heard…”

I should say that I have/do gossip with my friends. I am not above that, for sure. But there was something different at play here. It was as if people took pleasure and had malicious enjoyment over a very trying time in a person’s personal life.

I wrote a while back about the governor of South Carolina and how we are able to watch people’s life fall apart. What is it about a car wreck that makes people stop and watch? What is it about a tragedy in someone else’s life that causes us to stop and watch?

I never want my life to get so bad that I take enjoyment in someone else’s misfortune. It’s not right, and it’s downright cruel…

It’s like we are constantly looking for something to distract us from our own unhappiness and the fact that we are not fulfilled as individuals.

The Bible talks about focusing on those things that are good. That is what I am trying to do. I also want to look at my own wreckage and make changes. I figure I can deal with the ugliness and pain now or in 15 years or 25 years…

I guess what I am trying to say is maybe we need to spend less time focused on the lives of other people and more time getting ourselves together.

No comments: