Monday, July 13, 2009

Silencing the Inner Judge

Up until last year, I was constantly punishing my mother. She did not raise me, and I had a hard dealing with my negative feelings towards this. Then one day, it hit me. My mother has been punishing herself all of these years. I didn’t need to punish her, she was punishing herself. When I finally had the “I need to stop punishing you for the past conversation,” she told me she deserved it. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the end, all things did work for my good.

I say that to say that: We are our own worst critics. We spend so much time punishing ourselves and speaking negative about ourselves. We really don’t need anyone else to tear us down; we do a good job of discouraging ourselves. But how do we silence our inner judge/critic?

I realize it is the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart where the answer is for me. From there, I can give encouragement and compliments outward to edify someone else.

P.S. I figured out the Wales thing. I will spend an extra night there, which will make it worth the trip. I delayed/extended Edinburgh by one day. I will subtract one night from Belfast. I’m so excited. The countdown is on.

No comments: