Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Glassblowing Class



As I have previously blogged, I want to make 2016 a year about learning/exploring new things. In January, I took a photography class.

I was procrastinating planning this month, and then I realized February was getting away from me, so I quickly checked Groupon. I was able to line up a painting class for March (one of the Sip and Paint type).

Then, as I continued to search, I saw a Groupon for Glassblowing, which was awesome because it is something I have wanted to do. I bought the Groupon, and I was able to get in a few days later for a Blow Your Own Glass class. I opted to make a bowl.

It was actually pretty cool. I don’t remember the technical terms, but here is what went down.

The instructor used the blowpipe to get molten glass from the furnace. The furnace was hot! When she opened it, I immediately stepped away and to the side. It was then up to me to reheat the glass (to keep it a certain temperature) and add the color glass pieces to my work. So I would roll the blowpipe in the reheating furnace then take it out and add the color. This was repeated several times.

 
Reheating the glass in the second furnace. This furnace was not as hot as the furnace with the molten glass.

Adding the color glass.

I decided on a mixture of yellow, orange, and red. Perfect for my place's color scheme.
To shape the glass, I blew into the blowpipe to make the glass expand. That was really cool. Then to make the glass indent for the bowl indentation, I sucked on the pipe and the glass constricted (for lack of a better word).

Once it took shape, I had to seal the bottom from when the bowl was cut from the blowpipe.


Sealing the bottom

Armed and dangerous.
It was then placed to slowly cool, and I was able to pick it up 48 hours later. Here is the final product.

My bowl!


It was a fun experience, and it is something I could see myself doing again. My class was 30 minutes, but they have four hour classes where they really get into the details. And they also have six week classes. At this point, I just wanted to make something, and I doubt it will be a hobby.


No comments: