Sunday, January 25, 2009

Entitlement

I wonder where people get this deep-rooted sense of entitlement. I would like to think that I have no sense or expectation of entitlement, but I sense this is not true. Of course, I am blind to myself. Though I do see it manifest in my reactions when I don’t get my way.

It would seem that somehow or another we’ve been given this false impression that we deserve all of our heart’s desires, which is actually not bad within itself. It’s bad when your sense of entitlement causes you to infringe upon others. It’s this unsaid belief that whatever you want or need is more important than anyone else.

I am reminded of Henry VIII. For some odd reason, whatever Henry VIII wanted or thought was the will of God. It’s a miracle that he was so in tuned with God that God willed whatever he desired. Things never change because the will of God is still being used today to justify whatever we want.

I wonder what would happen if for one week, we all put the needs and comfort of others over our own!

No comments: