Friday, January 30, 2009

The A-list Friend

I’ve been doing my own version of Lectio Divina. I use one Psalm a day that I read and absorb. During my readings, I understand more and more that God puts way more effort into our relationship that I do. I would go so far as to say it’s one-sided. If I had a friend who ignored me and didn’t communicate with me to the extent that I do – or don’t – with God, I would probably end the relationship.

It’s lucky for me that God adores me even though I don’t deserve it.

In the Psalms, David praises the things that God will do for those who love Him, which makes me say, thank you God! However, I also notice that there are things that I am supposed to do, but I am not doing my part of the deal.

Like I want to be a tree planted by the rivers of water, but there is a caveat. Basically, I want all the rewards without putting the effort, which is probably a most human quality. I won’t allow that to be an excuse, no matter how adequate.

God has been too good for me to treat him like a B-list friend!

No comments: