Sunday, March 13, 2016

No more BP meds



As I have stated many times, I started a journey of wellness in January 2014. 40 loomed, and I had to ask myself how I wanted the next 40 years to look. Having good health was a huge part of that equation.

Good news on the health front! My doctor has allowed me to go off blood pressure medicine. Between the weight loss (25 pounds most days – lol) and eating less process foods full of sodium, my blood pressure has been pretty steady, even when I weaned off medication.

So, I am excited. She did caution me to keep working out and not to put the weight back on. LOL!

I attribute a lot to my trainer, Brenda, for being a huge part of my journey. I have seen her every Tuesday and Thursday for the last 26 months, unless I am traveling. If she has to miss for some reason, I ask her for a workout and do it on my own. It was an expense, but investing in my health will have a great ROI!

I also walk, a lot. I try walking 90 minutes each day. I don’t do it all at once, and I don’t always make the goal, but I try. I’ve learned to walk inside while checking Instagram and Twitter. It kills two birds with one stone. When I park at places, I park far from the entrance, which may just add a minute or two, but each minute counts. I also walk down stairs (not always up) because each step counts.

I also did MixxedFit once a week. Dancing is such a fun way to burn calories, and it's a great way to do it with a community so you have accountability and support.

Today I walked my fifth St. Patrick's Day Dash (5K), and I will walk my fourth half marathon in June.

I eat tons of fruits and vegetables. For example, at work, I will bring at least six servings. This week: carrots, celery, bananas, strawberries, apples, blueberries, grapes, and tangerines. I don’t buy processed food for dinner anymore. The longer the shelf life, the scarier the product. I buy nuts at Trader Joe's. They are not only cheaper, they also have a shorter shelf life because there are less preservatives.

I do well with water most days, but I try my best to only drink water. I will occasionally crave something else, and I will drink it. Everything in moderation.

I also am sure to get sleep. I try to get eight hours. I am sleeping so much better since I started working out.

Anyway again super excited to be off blood pressure meds.

Me in 2012 and me October 2015

2 comments:

Margo said...

Way to go, LTB! I'm so proud of you!

RACHEL JACKSON said...

well done LTB! total inspiration right there.