Friday, January 9, 2015

Fit for the Kingdom—Where do You Want to Be?

And finally, Fit for the Kingdom. I guess I was busy writing this newsletter!



Many people begin the New Year by making resolutions on changes they want to implement in their lives. At the beginning of 2014, I was a couple of months shy of my 40th birthday, and I began asking myself questions in all the areas of my life. I would have 40 years under my belt, and I had to really think about how I wanted the next 40 years to look.

One area I knew I had room to improve in was the area of health. Yes; I did a lot of walking. Yes; I ate relatively healthy. I rated my health as good, but the big question I asked myself was how the
80-year-old me was going to look back and think about the health choices the 40-year-old me made.

As background, I have a family history of high blood pressure and diabetes. I know that part of that is diet, lack of exercise, and being overweight. Still, knowing my family history, I knew I had to make changes now to get and stay healthy and fit, especially as I age.

My vision for my latter years has always been to be active and healthy. I want to be able to travel with full use of my limbs. This would not miraculously happen overnight. It needed to start now. Once I decided where I wanted to be in 40 years, it made figuring out what I needed to begin doing easier.

So I began a fitness journey in January 2014. One of the biggest things for me was making sure I started a regimen I could maintain easily. I did not want to do a drastic lose 20 pounds in one month approach because I knew that I would probably not sustain the behavior I did to lose the weight.

I began seeing a personal trainer twice a week, which has helped tremendously. Yes; it was an extra expense, but I needed to invest in my future. I also try to walk 60 minutes every week day. This seems like a lot, but as a bus rider, it is a little easier. If I catch a certain bus, I can walk to/from the bus stop to/from work and get in 30 minutes roundtrip. Then, if I walk for at least 30 minutes during lunch, I can get the full 60 minutes in.

I have always parked my car far away from store entrances to get in extra steps. Many nights I will catch a different bus home. The bus drops me farther from my house for ten extra minutes of walking. If I do that five days a week, that is 50 extra minutes a week. Now if only I could make myself walk up stairs more.

I have also set new fitness goals. For example, in November, I walked my first half marathon. I felt extremely proud when I finished! I am also keeping my eyes open for 5Ks and other half marathons I can participate in. I am not a runner, but walking is something I can do quite easily.

I bring fruits and vegetables to work to snack on during the day. By the time I get home, I have had at least five servings. I have been trying to “eat” my calories, so I try to only drink water. At dinner, if I am still hungry, I try to have more salad. I have not cut anything out of my diet. I just try to be more mindful of portions. If I want something, I eat it. If I go overboard, I try to add in more steps that day.

The results? It’s been a little less than a year, and I have dropped some pounds. I sleep better, my mood is better, and I feel better.

So, where do you want to be health wise? Take the time to visualize how you want your health to look now and in the future. This visualization makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: