Friday, April 4, 2014

Volume XIII Issue II Editor's Corner

Volume XIII Issue II Editor's Corner



By nature, I consider myself to be an optimist. I like to think I see the best in people and that I look for the best in every situation regardless of how dire or muddy it may appear. Regardless of what I see, feel, or think, I try to hold on to the belief that my overall existence will get better each day, each week, each month, and each year.

Not because I will feel extremely happy all of the time. Not because bad things won’t happen to me or those I love. Not because I won’t face any serious issues or struggles. Not because I will get everything I want or desire. But because of God’s promise that all things will work out for my good. To me this means that even situations and circumstances I thought were defeats, were, are, or will be situations and circumstances of victory.

I remember many years back, I applied for a job at another company. I was sad when I did not get the job because I thought I was quite qualified. I thought the job sounded perfect for me. While it was happening, it felt like a defeat. It was right around this time that I was offered a promotion at the company I worked for, which was quite similar to the job I had applied for. Then, less than a year later, the company had layoffs. Word on the street is that they began with their most recent hires. It was one of the moments where I clearly realized that God does know what He is doing and that things do work out for my best, even when I cannot see it.

As I remember the victories in my life, I realize that often times they began as what seemed like defeats. But, in the end, the perceived defeat was the best thing for me. So when defeat comes, I try not to despair because I remember and know that God will turn it into a victory.

As you face your challenges, remember the victories you have had when the odds were against you and people counted you out. They became your victories.

Look at the story of David. As he faced Goliath, he remembered how God had already delivered him from a lion and from a bear. He reasoned that if God had delivered him in the past, God would deliver him then. When he faced Saul, all he had to do was remember facing Goliath, the lion, and the bear. David was a man who made mistakes, yet his faith and belief in God was unshakeable regardless of what life brought him.

Look at the story of the Prodigal Son. Here was a man returning home with defeat and shame, but he was restored because of his father’s love. This story is such an amazing example of the love, compassion, and care God has for us regardless of our situations and circumstances.

When facing tough challenges, remember the good in your life and remember the victories that have been won in the past. Trust God and have faith that He will see you through once again.

No comments: