Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Health Journey



The wellness journey continues!

Since beginning my workout routine in January, I have lost over 20 pounds! I’ve lost body fat and inches as well. I try to not make it about the weight because the goal is good health.

Because I am more active, I am sleeping a lot better. Before, I would have problems falling and staying asleep at nights. I used to hate being up in the middle of the night for hours. Now when this happens, it is not the norm! I feel like my head is clearer, and I am also tired.

I try to walk as much as possible. I get 30 minutes already by walking to/from my bus. I also try to walk during my lunch hour, so a lot of days I get 90 minutes of walking in. As the weather changes, it will be a challenge to keep this up. I have a raincoat and umbrella. I just need some waterproof walking shoes or boots.

I’m also trying to eat better! I do a good job at work. I bring fruits and veggies to snack on and I have almonds and cashews. I have to do better at home. One, I need to stop eating after eight. And two, I need to cut down on my watching TV rote snacking. There are some things like kettle corn that I don’t even by anymore. I wish I had the discipline to not eat the whole bag at once, but I don’t.

When grocery shopping, I look longingly at the carts full of soda, cookies, and chips. But alas, I cannot purchase them. If I want a soda, I will buy one from the vending machine to satisfy the craving. When this happens, I never finish the whole can because it’s overwhelming after coming from drinking mainly water.

When I want ice-cream, I buy a single serving. I had to really change my mindset around money on this. The single serving costs $1, and I do the math to buying a pint. And the logically part of my machine tells me it’s a bad deal. However, the single serving is a special one-time treat, not a four-day affair the pint would bring. If I want a cookie, I go to a bakery and get a yummy chocolate chip or snickerdoodle.

So the thing is not denying myself and food but just trying to eat things like sweets in moderation. And portion control. If I want seconds, I try to make my seconds more salad, which I have fully loaded with veggies, cheese, and nuts. I add in eggs and avocado when the mood strikes.

I am trying to limit the processed food I buy so no more frozen pizza, tator tots, or corn dogs. I avoid the canned food aisle all together. As much stuff as I can get fresh, I do. The longer the shelf life, the scared I am of the product.

It’s been a great journey so far!

1 comment:

Liza said...

I haven't checked back on blogs for a loooong time and took a look today and saw this post. Congratulations on losing 20 pounds! It sounds like you are embarking on the journey I started in 2011. I saw a picture of myself and it just clicked in my head that now was the time to make some real changes. I've never turned back since! Right now, I'm working on going gluten free and limiting my dairy as much as possible. It's those little changes that add up over time. In 2011, I never would have guessed I'd get to the point of eliminating bread and milk from my diet! Nor would I have guessed I'd be weight lifting and biking 11 miles like I did yesterday. It all started with just going for walks and eating more veggies. I periodically pick up another health book and that keeps me motivated. Reminds me of why I'm committed to this way of life. The alternative, as I'm sure you know, is poor health and that is NO fun! Getting older stinks enough without having poor health! Keep going! Pretty soon, you'll look at those cookies and they won't even look good anymore because you'll know how sick that much sugar will make you now that you are cutting it out of your diet. It will happen!